Why Should You Lease?
Vehicle leasing in the UK was relatively unheard of compared to the likes of vehicle leasing in America where 1 in every 4 cars were leased. Today however leasing is a booming industry, giving customers the chance to drive a new car every few years with low monthly payments and no worries about vehicle resale when you want a new car.
If you want to lease a vehicle as a personal individual there are two main types of car leasing you can do - Personal Contract Hire (PCH) and Personal Contract Purchase (PCP). Both provide you with a hassle-free car with no depreciation risks. The only difference between the two types of contracts is at the end of the PCP lease you have the option to own the car, whereas with PCH you return the car to the dealer.
If you are thinking about leasing a car then here are some main pointers to consider when deciding between PCH and PCP.
Monthly payments: These tend to be lower for PCH than PCP although monthly payments all depend on how much money you are willing to put down in advance. The higher the initial payment the less the monthly payment, the lower the initial payment the higher the monthly payment, just remember that this is not a deposit; you do not get this money back.
Running costs excluding fuel: With PCH your monthly payments tend to include road tax and servicing, this is not always guaranteed with PCP. Always check with your provider if your contract includes full road tax cover, and if you want maintenance cover you will need to get this added.
According to the Finance and Leasing Associations 4 out of 5 people with a PCP plan do not end up buying the car at the end of the contract, if you think this could be you then PCH will be cheaper and more beneficial to you.
So what are the advantages to leasing a car?
- If you are one of those people who love to be driving something new and like to change your car regularly then leasing would enable you to have a new vehicle of your choice every two, three, four or five years – depending how long you decide to lease for.
- The monthly payments are usually lower than what you would pay if you had a loan payment each month.
- It is stress free because at the end on your contract you just return the car, you don’t have to worry about selling it with the value of the car being so much lower than what you originally paid.
- If you opt for a full maintenance package, this will provide you with worry-free motoring.
- You don’t have to worry about paying extra taxes such as road tax.
- The down payment to lease a car is substantially cheaper than purchasing a car.
I recommend doing some research before signing into a contract to pick the best option for you. Here at BestCarFinder we have a number of sales assistants who would be willing to help you select the best option and package to make your lease as easy and pain free as possible.